We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you
buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
How we vet brands and products
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.
Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
We do the research so you can find trusted products for your health and wellness.
Explore our dietitian’s picks for meal delivery that helps older adults meet their nutritional needs.
As you age, following a nutritious diet is essential for maintaining good health. However, many older adults may find it difficult to prepare nutrient-dense meals themselves, which can lead to poor calorie and nutrient intake.
Healthy meal delivery services may help. These companies deliver prepared meals or meal kits straight to your door. Here are seven of the best meal delivery services for seniors.
Some older adults may prefer convenient premade meals that only require heating before they’re ready to eat. The following companies offer tasty prepared meals that are ready in just a few minutes.
Although heat-and-serve prepared meals make for easy meal planning, meal kit delivery services are an excellent option for those who enjoy cooking. The following companies deliver meal kits that make delicious, healthy dishes without the hassle of grocery shopping or prep work.
While researching the best meal delivery services for older adults, we considered the following factors:
- Price: We included services at a variety of price points to accommodate different budgets.
- Meals per week: Because some older adults may find it difficult to regularly shop for food and make healthy meals at home, we included services with various subscription options that will allow you to choose the number of meals you need per week.
- Variety of healthy options: We looked for services that provide nutritious meals and meal kits and offer recommended meals and diets for specific health conditions.
- Taste and ease of preparation: We looked for services that offer meals that are easy to prepare, and we tried many of them to find out whether the flavors and textures held up well to refrigeration and reheating.
- Customer reviews: We considered customer satisfaction with these services and looked at reviews based on experience with customer service, food taste and variety, and more.
- Vetting: The services on our list have been vetted to ensure that they align with Healthline’s brand integrity standards and approach to well-being. You can read more about our vetting process.
Choosing a meal delivery service ensures that there will always be a balanced and filling meal option available, which is important for older adults who don’t want to cook or cannot do so. Many older adults have
Meal delivery services can help older adults meet their daily needs for essential nutrients, including protein, a macronutrient that’s especially important for older adults. As we age, we lose muscle mass and strength faster. Because of this, experts in the field of aging
Adding high protein ingredients to meals and snacks, like chicken, seafood, Greek yogurt, and lentils, can help older adults meet their protein needs. Though every person has different nutrition needs, most older adults will benefit from meals with a higher content of protein and fiber, a nutrient that’s essential for digestive health.
Older adults with health conditions, such as diabetes and kidney disease, may benefit from meal services designed to help manage their symptoms. For example, Magic Kitchen offers low sodium and dialysis- and renal-friendly meals.
Additionally, those who live alone may prefer a meal service that offers fully prepared, one-person meals that can be frozen for future use.
For those who enjoy cooking, a meal kit delivery service can provide ingredients to make nutritious meals without the need for shopping.
Note that some older adults may qualify for a home-delivered meals benefit through their health insurance plans. Contact your health insurance company for more information.
Yes, Medicare will cover the cost of certain home delivered meals. Health insurance programs, such as Medicare and Medicaid, may fully or partially cover the cost of Mom’s Meals.
Healthy meals for older adults should generally be rich in protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Most older adults benefit from a higher-protein diet, which can help support lean body mass. Nutritious meal ideas include protein-rich one-pot meals, such as chilis and soups, high-fiber grain dishes, like Buddha bowls, and simple one-sheet recipes, like baked chicken with vegetables.
The healthiest meal delivery program for older adults depends on their dietary and health needs. For example, an older adult with a medical condition that requires a specialized diet, such as kidney disease, would benefit from a meal delivery program that offers meals designed to suit specific dietary needs, like Magic Kitchen. All the meal delivery services on this list provide nutritionally complete, healthy meals for older adults, though some do focus more on ingredient quality. For example, Sunbasket and Green Chef use high quality ingredients, such as organic produce, which some older adults may prefer.
For older adults, a meal delivery service is a great way to ensure that healthy and tasty meals are always available.
Numerous meal delivery services offer either fully prepared meals or meal kits, and some provide specialized dietary plans.
If you have questions about meal delivery services or need help choosing the best meal delivery service for your needs, it’s a good idea to contact a healthcare professional or a local registered dietitian for advice.